Assistant Counsel, LATAM
Grow your career with The Estée Lauder Companies!
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. is one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of quality skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products. As the global leader in prestige beauty, we touch over half a billion consumers a year.
Our Company's products are sold in over 150 countries and territories under the following brand names AERIN, Aramis, Aveda, Bobbi Brown, Bumble and bumble, By Kilian, Clinique, Darphin, Donna Karan, DKNY, Dr. Jart , Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, Ermenegildo Zegna, Estée Lauder, GLAMGLOW, Jo Malone London, Kiton, La Mer, Lab Series, Le Labo, MAC, Michael Kors, Origins, Prescriptives,Smashbox, Tom Ford, Tommy Hilfiger and Too Faced.
Infused throughout our organization is a passion for creativity and innovation; a desire to push the boundaries and invent the unexpected.
The Assistant Counsel position is part of ELC’s Global Legal organization and is responsible for the work related to a wide variety of commercial contracts in jurisdictions throughout the LATAM Region. The Assistant Counsel role will deliver high quality legal support to the LATAM business in collaboration with the ELC legal teams in Panama and New York. The Assistant Counsel is responsible for drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts including and not limited to distribution, retail, importer, virtual selling, 3PP, online, talent agreements among other type of agreements.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the LATAM Associate Counsel in Panama and the legal topics withing the LATAM region including advice with: commercial and consumer regulations, privacy laws, online legal requirements, corporate requirements, labor, tax, control exchange regulations and regulatory.
- Support legal activities involving commercial agreements, among others related to the LATAM business.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements.
- Understand and advice on privacy laws of LATAM countries.
- Support the brands locally with their talent agreements (influencers, brand ambassadors, model and alike).
- Support LATAM Associate Counsel with compliance initiatives around the region.
- Position based at ELC’s OneSource Shared Services Center in Panama.
- Cosmetic and/or OTC industry experience a plus.
- 10 years of commercial contract experience at a reputable law firm and/or legal department of a multi-national company.
- Strong acumen and experience in drafting and negotiating commercial contracts.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment with a diverse workforce.
- High emotional intelligence, strong interpersonal, communication and relationship-building skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Effectively communicates, exercises good judgment in decision making, understands and synthesizes complex issues.
- Strong technical skills with experience in Microsoft Office 365.
- LLM from US a plus.
- English is a must; Portuguese is a plus.
- Thinks Strategically: Takes a broad view of the business, industry, and consumer environment to anticipate
and plan for the future. Identifies the focus and defines where to play, how to win and what capabilities and
management systems are required.
- Embraces and Initiates Change: Distinguishes what to preserve and what to change. Has the courage to
initiate and lead the changes that drive success.
- Builds Collaborative Relationships: Builds relationships based on trust and respect. Promotes the inclusion
of diverse knowledge, skills, and experiences to achieve results.
- Demonstrates Learning Agility: Ability to anticipate change, face reality, draw conclusions, and swiftly
mobilize to adapt to changing needs and demands.
- Drives Creativity and Innovation: Focuses on areas of highest potential. Creates newness or connects knowledge in new ways to create the unexpected. Ensures that the creativity and innovation pipeline
are aligned to achieve strategy and goals.
- Strives for Excellence in Execution: Proactively seeks ways to improve personal and organizational effectiveness to meet current and future business needs. Learns equally from successes and failures.
- Juris Doctor Degree, Bachelor’s Degree in Law, or local equivalent
- Minimum Years of Experience: 10 years
- Travel time: <5%.
- English, Spanish, and Portuguese will be a plus
- Licenses or Certifications: Admitted to appropriate country bar in any Latin American country.
- Work shift: Monday to Friday – Business hours, Flexible work (home office and office permitted).
- Contract-type: Full-Time Permanent.
- Location: Costa del Este, Panamá.