WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and / or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes.
Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
For its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020.
This position is part of the HR Unit in the WFP Regional Bureau for Latin America and the Caribbean, supporting 13 country offices in the region.
It reports to the Regional HR Officer. The incumbent of the position will be expected to operate with minimal supervision, providing support and guidance to HR teams in country offices across the region as well as to junior staff in the team, ensuring that operational and project objectives are achieved.
She / he will be heavily involved in day to-day activities and analytical work, provide advice on complex issues, applying HR rules, regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, and deliver HR operational activities or projects, following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
2. Provide advice to managers and employees, understanding their needs and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
3. Provide effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving employee relations issues.
4. Contribute to staff capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing / delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
5. Deliver onboarding activities which ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
6. Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and delivering solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver business objectives.
7. Support organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
8. Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
9. Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
10. Contribute to continuous improvement by implementing new / updated HR policies, procedures and systems and recommending improvements to ways of working.
11. Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education : Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings / courses.
Experience : Three or more years of postgraduate professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Experience in HR operations, covering the entire employee lifecycle, preferred. Experience in the UN System and / or knowledge and familiarity with its normative framework, processes and procedures is desired.
Language : Fluency (level C) in Spanish and English. Fluency in French is an asset.
Knowledge & Skills :
Broad or specialized knowledge of HR best practices, techniques and processes with understanding of the basic theoretical background.
Ability to supervise and support more junior and / or less experienced members of the team.
Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Strong analytical ability to evaluate data, draw conclusions and articulate recommendations.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills required, including the ability to effectively elicit information from, and provide information to others and to work with a variety of stakeholders.
Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and provide client-oriented service. Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions.
Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate, UN / WFP specific processes and systems.
Must perform efficiently in a high-volume environment, both independently and as part of a team.
Ability to multi-task and meet competing priorities.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Position : Human Resources Officer
Number of openings : 1
Based in : Panama City, Panama
Type of Contract : Fixed Term
Level : National Officer / NOB
Duration : 12 months.
This position is open only to Panamanian citizens.
You can consult the UN Salary Scale for Panama page for your reference.
Fixed-Term appointments are for a continuous period of one year or more and shall have a specified expiration date. The initial appointment is subject to a probationary period of one year.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please create a personal account and fill out the profile form with your personal information at career opportunities.
If you are internal applicant, apply through your E-Recruitment profile.
In the application form, ensure filling the mandatory sections, attaching your CV, answering the pre-screening questions and agreeing on the legal statement before submitting your application.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis on account of potential and performance. All applicants will undergo a rigorous process which includes screening against job requirements, a technical test, and a panel interview.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline to apply to this position is January 30, 2022.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications.
WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority.
Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.